Burrton is a community of individuals who enjoy the quiet, slower pace of life in a community of familiar faces and close friends. Burrton prides itself as a unique community of neighbors who, ideally, share similar interests and expectations for the future of the town.
Burrton is located 20 miles west of Newton on Highway 50, 12 miles west of Halstead on Highway 50, 16 miles East of Hutchinson on Highway 50, and 35 miles NW of Wichita.
Burrton has a 15-acre community lake with fishing for Bluegill, Crappie, Channel Catfish, Flathead Catfish, and Largemouth Bass. Hiking, picnicking, wildlife viewing, fishing, camping, swimming, and sports are the recreation opportunities available at this park. 2 hiking trails are maintained.
Also, ten acres of land encompasses the municipal swimming pool, a lighted tennis court, sand volleyball court, and 2 baseball diamond fields. There is also a picnic area with playground equipment, and the Flickinger Memorial Activity Building.
The first settlers to the area south of Burrton came in March of 1871. Settling in what would become Burrton Township was John Blades and others who came in April of 1871. It was more than a year later, in June of 1872, that the Santa Fe Railroad’s 700 track layers arrived in the area as they made the great push to the Colorado border. In June of 1873 a small area south of the tracks was selected as a town site by the Arkansas Valley Town Company. It was named "Burrton" in honor of Mr. Isaac T. Burr, who was a stockholder and Vice President of the Santa Fe Railway. Still, nobody actually lived in Burrton proper until the spring of 1874, when Dr. J. L. McAtee built the first residence.
1874 was the year of the great grasshopper plague and drought that brought great hardship to the pioneers. The first Newspaper was called The Burrton Telephone, established November 2, 1878. Burrton was incorporated as a city on September 12, 1878 following the election of Mayor W. H. Kinney and Councilmen J. A. Moore.
It wasn't until 1887 when some businesses started up on the north side of the tracks, the area that eventually became the main business district.